Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cattle Decapitation


Track: The Ripe Beneath the Rind
Artist: Cattle Decapitation
Album: The Harvest Floor
Genre: Deathgrind
Similar Artists: Cephalic Carnage, Circle of Dead Children, Cannibal Corpse


Cattle Decapitation were always one of those bands I had on my iTunes but never listened to. That changed recently when I was feeling in a death-grindy mood while scrolling over the letter "c". The Harvest Floor is a fantastic album, and I honestly have no idea what kept me from coming back to this album. It being the most recent work from the Cattle Decapitation discography, it features a degree of variance and experimentation that only comes with years of active participation in the grindcore/deathmetal scene. Experimentation might be the wrong word to use. What I'm trying to draw attention to is that the tracks on this record range from standard radio-length to longer, they all sound different, and even the individual parts of each song are constantly bringing new elements to the foreground. This is not a cookie-cutter grindcore or death metal album.

I urge you to check out the instrumental title track. It's surprisingly beautiful and eerie. Completely different from the rest of the album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y6Aj0hFnN4

-oh yeah, and they're all vegetarians, but that's kind of apparent

No comments:

Post a Comment